Read Foner Chapter 24: An Affluent Society
PRINT HW AND BRING TO CLASS
Monday - Read Section 1 and and answer the following questions in SRF format.
1)Explain the meaning of the "American Standard of Living" during the 1950's?
2)Describe how the automobile transformed American communities and culture in the 1950's.
3)Identify the prescribed roles and aspirations for women during the social conformity in the 1950's.
4)How did the growth of suburbs affect the racial lines of division in American society?
Tuesday: Read Section 2 and and answer the following questions in SRF format.
1) Explain the ideological rifts between conservatives in the 1950's. Why did so many view President Eisenhower as "not one of them"?
2) What was the "new social contract" between labor and management, and how did it benefit both sides as well as a nation as a whole?
3)How did the United States and the Soviet Union shift the focus of the Cold war to the Third world?
Wednesday: Read Section 3 and and answer the following questions in SRF format.
1)What were the most significant factors that contributed to the growing momentum of the civil rights movement in the 1960's.
2)How did many southern whites, led by their elected officials, resist desegregation and civil rights in the name of "freedom"?
3)explain the significance of American race relations for the U.S. relations overseas.
Due Thurs: Read Section 4 and and answer the following questions in SRF format.
1) What was the roles of consumerism in ideas of American freedom in the 1950's?
2)To what extent was the Cold War a struggle to promote freedom in the world, and how did it affect the freedoms of Americans at home?
3) What were the arguments posed by social critics of Cold war society and culture?
4) what basic freedoms did African Americans seek through the civil rights movements of this period?
5)According to president Eisenhower, what dangers were posed by military-industrial complex.
All Assignments have to put on TurnItIn. Class Code is on Jupiter Grades.